Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Blending In....

Good afternoon all,
It's a cold and rainy day here in good ol' RVA.  Hope you are staying warm and dry, wherever you are!  :)

For the next couple of weeks in Tier II reading, we will be covering consonant blends and digraphs.  My Kindergartners and first graders are working on ch, sh, and th.  I try to cover these immediately after letter identification and letter sound mastery.  My third graders are now working on a number of different beginning and ending blends and digraphs.  We have lots of fun activities to explore these sounds and to practice reading them in context.  First, I have a couple of fun charts for you courtesy of Ladybug's Teacher Files.  Click on the images to download your printables.

Consonant Blends Chart-
Digraphs Chart-

In addition, I found this fantastic center activity on Make Take Teach that I plan on constructing and using in my classroom for years to come.  I am always looking for activities that my students can work on either cooperatively or independently during center time.  My goal this week is to print these out with the color printer and then laminate them for durability.  The students will practice their blends by identifying the picture on the card and filling in the correct blend with a dry erase marker.  Click on the picture to get your very own set of phonics cards!

I can't say enough great things about Make Take Teach.  The phonics lessons are perfect for intervention groups and "regular" classrooms alike.  It also has some awesome St. Patrick's Day  activities available for download right now-  Go check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment